Monday, April 5, 2010

We don't look for shit (Stereotypes are not that bad, they might end up saving your life)

Before I start...let me make something clear...I love all people!

This story brought awareness that Black people around the world think alike.


Like I said in "Smacked in the face with a pork chop" I worked at Bear Creek camp. I met a lot of amazing people. Two of those amazing people I met were Joe and Mike. They are both from South Africa. I'm still in contact with them. We are like bothers and sister. I spent most of my summer in Reading doing day camps for bear creek. Joe, mike and I became very close. So, when I was done with a day camp had to return back to bear creek for the weekend. So, this one particular weekend I came back but I had a surprise for Joe and mike...Pops cereal. I walked into the kitchen and I surprised them because they thought I was going to stay in Reading. We hugged and I gave them each a box of Pops cereal.

So we started to eat the cereal and telling funny stories that happened for that week...We were laughing hard. There were some other people in the kitchen with us (all White) and I was looking out the window and i saw something that looked like 5 big boulders moving. I said, "what the hell is that?" And Dallas (the sensitive one) said those are bears. I'm was like, Yo!!! lock all the doors.(All the white people laughed). Joe and Mike knew I was serious because they got up and looked the doors. The bears came and went through the trash and knocking over the trash cans. They were out there for about five mins just messing up the trash cans.

I was still looking out the window and the bears started to walk away. I said, "I think they are leaving." So Dallas said, "lets go get our flashlights and go clean up the trash." Why did all the white people get up and leave to get their flashlights. Joe, Mike and I didn't say a word to each other we just knew we were not going out there. Dallas came back into the kitchen and said, "come on guys we need to clean up the trash. Joe said, "We don't look for shit" we all just looked at Dallas...it was like Joe was our spokesperson..because he was right. How in the hell do we look like going out there and the bears JUST walked away. We could clean up the trash in the morning...you know day time...no bears! I have goals in my life and one of them is not getting my ass whooped and killed by a bear that can't find a Hersey's bar in a trash can.

We continued to eat our cereal and I happen to look out the window...you would think you were at a rave. All you see are lights moving fast. Then you heard screaming and bears roaring. Joe, mike and I started laughing. Now when Dallas and everyone else left. I locked the doors AGAIN. So, 12 people ran into a locked door and they are screaming, "open the door!" I was laughing too much that I couldn't open the door. I finally got the door open and they just fell right in the cabin. They were all out of breath some were still screaming. Then Joe walks up to the pile of white folks and says, "I told you, we don't look for shit!" Joe, Mike and I were still laughing while they were screaming...LOL!

I had to call my mom and tell her what just happened. I told her I just saw the good side of stereotypes. Joe, Mike and I didn't have to say a word to each other..our blackness just was in unity...we didn't have to say anything...We don't look for shit especially when it involves wild animals. Never heard of a black person being killed by a bear...

All I have to say is..."We don't look for shit" and I don't mind this stereotype...it saves lives!

Peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment